“Opal’s transformation to a revenue-generating advanced formulation and manufacturing business will be achieved through the acquisition of Formulytica Pty Ltd. Formulytica offers specialist contract services and is recognised internationally for excellence.
Formulytica’s strong team and services attract both international and local clients. Their key attributes of new formulation and IP development compared to other pure contract manufacturing organisations sets them apart.
This is the right time to invest in growing Australia’s onshore manufacturing capability. Our current $5m capital raising will fund Formulytica’s growth in services and manufacturing upgrade and position the group for acquisition or ASX-listing“.
Julie Phillips, Managing Director, Opal Biosciences Ltd
Opal Biosciences is a preclinical stage biotechnology company transitioning to full drug product contract development and manufacturing with the acquisition of Formulytica (FLT). FLT specialises in developing formulations of pharmaceutical products. FLT generates revenue from its fee-for-service business and from royalties from its licensed innovative technology.
Opal’s acquisition of FLT represents a unique opportunity to grow a business to meet the significantly increased requirement for onshore pharmaceutical products manufacturing in Australia. This focus and growth will position Opal for acquisition/ASX-listing.
- Revenue-generating pharmaceutical development business: income from fee-for-service and royalties, specialising in the formulation and development of pharmaceuticals.
- Growing market need from companies wanting access to local formulation and small-scale manufacturing and clinical/non-clinical study supplies in Australia.
- International client base: attracted by Formulytica’s existing specialist formulation expertise and the growing market for early stage clinical trials in Australia which require supplies.
- Business expansion: combined with growing market need, government policies are being directed to enhance broader-based onshore manufacturing and reduce reliance on imports.
- Near-term results: Opportunity to invest at a pivotal growth point with significant uplift potential (~ 1.5-2 years), the opportunity to access government incentives and grow and monetize Opal and Formulytica’s in-house intellectual property.
Opal seeks to raise $5m through the issue of new ordinary shares at a price of $0.15 each to sophisticated investors under an Information Memorandum.